GSM full form means Global System for Mobile and also called Global Mobile Communication System. If you are in Europe or Asia and are using a mobile phone, then you will probably be using GSM technology on your mobile phone.
It is a digital cellular technology that is used to transmit mobile voice and data services. In the early 1970s, the concept of GSM(GSM Full Form) emerged from a cell-based mobile radio system at Bell Laboratories.
Global Mobile Communication System (GSM Full Form) Works?
GSM is the name of a standardization group established in 1982 to create a common European mobile telephone standard. GSM is the most widely accepted standard in telecommunications and is applied globally.
GSM is a circuit-switched system that divides each 200 kHz channel into eight 25 kHz time-slots. The GSM mobile communication band operates at 900 MHz and 1800 MHz in most parts of the world.
In the US, GSM operates in the 850 MHz and 1900 MHz bands. GSM has more than 70 percent of the world’s digital cellular subscribers.
GSM uses Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) technology to transmit signals. GSM was developed using digital technology. It has the capability to carry data rates from 64 Kbps to 120 Mbps.
Currently, GSM supports over one billion mobile subscribers in more than 210 countries worldwide.
Global Mobile Communication System (GSM Full Form) provides basic to advanced voice and data services including roaming services. Roaming Another GSM network has the ability to access your GSM phone number.
GSM digitizes and compresses the data, then sends it through one channel with two other streams of user data, each in its own time.
You can see the features of the Global Mobile Communication System (GSM Full Form) below which shows its popularity and wide acceptance.
- International Roaming
- High-quality Speech
- Support for new Services
- Improved Spectrum Efficiency
- Low-cost Mobile Sets and Base Stations (BSs)
What are The GSM features
- Spectrum efficiency has been greatly improved in GSM.
- Short Message Service was also added inside GSM.
- There is Improved Voice Quality inside GSM.
- Can manage Sim’s Phonebook.
- GSM also supports many new services.
The Main Benefits of using GSM Network
- GSM has wide coverage all over the world.
- GSM service is received in more than 200 countries, so it offers worldwide roaming for its customers worldwide.
- GSM is extremely safe because its equipment and facilities cannot be easily replicated.
- GSM provides advanced features like Short Message, Caller Id, Call Hold, Call Forwarding, etc.
The Brief Story Of GSM Network
You can see the history of Global Mobile Communication System (GSM Full Form) in detail below –
- In 1982, the European Post and Telegraph Conference established a GSM group to widen the standards for a pan-European cellular mobile system.
- In 1985, a list of recommendations to be generated by the group was accepted.
- In 1986, field trials were performed to test various radio technologies recommended for air interfaces.
- In 1987, Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) was chosen with the access method Frequency Division Multiple Access (FDMA). The initial memorandum was signed by telecom operators representing 12 countries.
- The GSM system became valid in 1988.
- In 1989, the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) was given the responsibility of GSM specifications.
- Phase 1 of GSM specifications is given in the year 1990.
- The commercial launch of GSM service takes place in 1991. DCS1800 specifications have been finalized.
- Apart from the countries that signed the GSM MoU in 1992. Coverage was spread to major cities and airports.
- In 1993, the coverage of main roads GSM services started outside Europe.
- Launched data transmission capabilities in 1994. By the end of 1994, the network had grown to 69 in 43 countries.
- In 1995, phase 2 of the GSM specialties occurs. In this, coverage was extended to rural areas.
- In 1996, 133 networks were started in 81 countries.
- In 1997, it added 200 networks in 109 countries, around 44 million subscribers worldwide.
- Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) came into existence in 1999 and was operational in 130 countries with 260 million subscribers.
- In 2000, General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) came into existence.
- By May 2001, more than 550 million people had become subscribers of mobile telecommunications.